'For the person or persons that hold dominion, can no more combine with the keeping up of majesty the running with harlots drunk or naked about the streets, or the performances of a stage player, or the open violation or contempt of laws passed by themselves than they can combine existence with non-existence'.

- Benedict de Spinoza. Political Treatise. 1677.




Sunday, September 19, 2010

on certainty 668


668. What practical consequence has it if I give a piece of information and add that I can’t be making a mistake about it?

(I might also add instead: “I can no more be wrong about this than about my name’s being L.W.”)

The other person might doubt my statement nonetheless. But if he trusts me he will not only accept my information, he will also draw definite conclusions from my conviction, as to how I shall behave.



we can’t say what the practical consequences of any assertion will be –

we can have our hunches –

but whatever happens is open to interpretation –

and therefore – uncertain

saying that you can’t be making a mistake – that you can’t be wrong –

is just claiming an authority – you don’t have –

you might be able to fool yourself – or someone else –

but all that amounts to is – deception

if the other person trusts you – then he is a fool –

perhaps well meaning – and kind –

but nevertheless – not on the ball

there are no definite conclusions to draw –

from anything – or anyone –

any conclusion drawn –

will be indefinite –

uncertain –

open to question –

open to doubt


© greg t. charlton. 2010.